We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Gurkha Settlement

Prior to the introduction of Her Majesty’s Immigration Rules (HMFIR) in October 2004 it was not easy for Gurkhas to enter the UK after discharge.  

After HMFIR was introduced, serving Gurkhas with more than four years’ service (or who met the rules for medical discharge) had two years from date of discharge to apply to settle in the UK.  The rules also included those Gurkhas discharged on or after 1July 1997 and they had two years from October 2004 to make an application to settle.

On 21 May 2009 the UK Home Office announced that Gurkhas who served for four years or more between 1948 and 1997 would also be allowed to settle in the UK.  The Ministry of Defence coordinated action to assist those who wished to settle in the UK and has established the Gurkha Settlement Office (GSO) in Kathmandu.  

The GSO provides assistance free of charge to individuals who are considering preparing and submitting visa applications for Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK – commonly called ‘settlement’.   In addition to helping individuals with an application the GSO also provides information on life and living in the UK in order that individuals can make an informed decision that is right for them and their family.   

Further information is available at:

Gurkha Settlement Office (Kathmandu)
British Gurkhas Nepal
Manbhawan, Lalitpur

Tel: 977-1-4235329, 4235327, 4235326
Fax: 01-5547561

Email: dpmgso@bgn.com.np

Website: www.army.mod.uk/bgn

The Gurkha Welfare Trust (GWT), the leading Gurkha charity, has combined with HQ Brigade of Gurkhas to establish Gurkha Welfare Advice Centres at Salisbury and Aldershot.  The centres aim to assist in the coordination of welfare for retired Gurkhas in the UK, working closely with government departments, service charities and other agencies, in order to support those in need – whether they are already settled in Britain or newly-arrived.